Please note: This page may include affiliate links. I may receive a small credit/commission if you purchase items through these links at no added cost to you. Thank you for helping me in supporting the blog!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you.
I have enjoyed the new oven mitts I made so much that I had to make some more. This time I made Nana oven mitts for the kitchen and a matching child sized play oven mitt and potholder for the play kitchen.
I started with this beautiful Spectrum Stardust 100% cotton Canvas fabric currently on preorder at Flying Pig Fabrics.
As this was the second pair, I’ve made, it was a very, very quick sew this time! Last time I traced around the outlines of the fabric to quilt the mitts. This time, I simply sewed the layers of Insul Bright and fabric together with vertical lines 1″ apart to create the quilting.
I began by printing out this free pattern by Kylie Kelsheimer found on Craftsy. I liked the fact that it is extra long to protect the arms. The link to the website with the tutorial was broken, however, there were pics that I could use to easily figure it out. But I decided to sew mine a little differently after reading this blog post by Skip To My Lou.
I cut four layers for each mitt side just like she did, however, I used two layers of Insul Bright as I did not have any regular cotton batting on hand. The Insul Bright instructions direct you to place the Insul Bright so that the shiny metallic side faces towards your heat source to direct the heat away from you. So I layered my four rectangles lining piece (right side facing down), two layers of Insul Bright (metallic side facing UP) and outer fabric (right side facing up). I then pinned the layers together and stitched through all of them along the book outlines for a very basic quilted effect. I did not want to quilt through the books themselves and I found that stitching along the edges of the books gave just enough body to my mitts. I repeated this step so I had four quilted rectangles – two for each mitt. I then placed two rectangles on top of each other (right sides together) and cut the pattern. I sewed them together, clipped the edges, and turned right side out. (I stitched around the outline twice to reinforce the seam as I was sewing so many layers.) Instead of the band like Skip To My Lou uses, I finished my oven mitts with double fold bias tape as they were already quite long.